Friends are Magicians

Okay. That title was a play on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Raise your hooves, bronies and pegasisters! In line with my previous post, I will be posting about one of the many things that make me smile. And for this post, I will be posting about my friends.



In all honesty, my life is boring compared to that of my friends. Nothing as exhilarating as their experiences happen to me. That's why I talk about making new ones and share their stories instead of mine.

I have male and female friends, straight and gay, tall, short, young, and young-at heart (because they don't want to be called old). It's funny because back in high school, the number of friends that I had could be counted with my fingers and toes. It was clear that I was different then, still quite different now.

I was never bullied. But I also didn't fit in. But when college came, it was a breath of fresh air.

Almost nobody knew who I was. 'Twas the time that I thought I should be more extroverted. Having blockmates from different schools and backgrounds can do that to you. Luckily for me, I didn't have to try that hard. They were so inviting and they brought me out of my shell.

This helped me a lot, especially when my best friend transferred to my school. We hung out with the geeks then, and socializing had never been easier than that. I got to hang out with people whom I shared the same hobbies with, and got to be into new ones. Those being cosplay, Cardfight Vanguard, tabletop games, cartoons, etc. All of these helped me grow even more.

Those social skills also came in handy when I started a life in the big city. And let me tell you, it's been a hell of a ride so far. My first job was in a startup company, then a I went from one agency to another in a span of 2 years.

I've been thinking about how unlucky I am in this field. People keep telling me that I don't belong and should find a new industry to work in. But it seems to me that I'm a masochist, and just won't give up as of yet.

It's been hurting me so much to the point that I get frequent headaches and just completely space out when I'm on my way home. I mean, you should see my face when I'm commuting home. I have this very blank face that I carry up until arriving to my boarding house. Same goes for the headache.

Going back, because of my down-ness, I've been meaning to find coping mechanisms for it. One way, if not the only way, is going to conventions. Causecon being the most memorable and heart-fluttering one that I've been to so far.

It was a convention for a cause. It was small compared to others. It didn't have as many cosplayers or booths. But it was the best convention that I've been to thus far in the whole unfinished year.

It was held on the 25th of March 2018 by local hobbyists who shared a common love for all things geeky. It was before that convention that I felt so down in the dumps that going there felt like a chore. I never planned to go in the first place, but I did. And I had the best time in a long time.

I got to meet amazing people and was able to talk to them about anything and everything. It was a surreal moment because I knew the people only through Facebook. So having to meet them all in person was thrilling. Having to talk to passionate people was awesome. I forgot my troubles that time. What were my problems at the time anyway? That's how great of an experience it was for me.

But if there's one friend that I can never stop talking about, it's Tisha. And a follow-up Renzo since I met him way later than Tisha. We chat each other up and can literally talk about everything. Normally, you're careful with what you say and do around friends, but us three? We basically have little to no filter when we talk. That is something I treasure so much that I know it'll be hard to get us all away from each other.

We look forward to upcoming adventures and what the future has ahead of us. Renzo will be taking up law while Tisha and I plan to be quite active in the Metro Manila hobby scene. We choose to walk instead of commute. We like making puns and bask in the cringing that follows.

We talk about philosophy and cartoons and games and manga and comics and everything else that you can possibly think of. They're the most powerful magicians, or witch and wizard (Harry Potter reference), that I have in my life right now. They're the best.

So basically, I call my friends magicians because they have this amazing ability to make me smile just by being themselves. They all have their own tricks of the trade and use them to their advantage depending on the situation.

I still have quite a few things I want to say and so many other people that I want to credit. But alas, I doubt anyone would want to read through my stuff. That doesn't mean I'll be stopping this series.

Comments

Popular Posts