Why Dream


           … or why a dream is Step 1.

One evening, I was chatting ith a close friend from my province. He had been seeking comfort since something bad occurred to someone he was close with. Here are a few things he mentioned, paraphrased:
  • “I wish I could have done something.”
  • “Just talking makes me feel weak, powerless even.”
  • “I want to be able to help people as much as I can, when they need it.”
This friend is someone whom I share deep conversations with. We always banter about our views or send each other the occasional pun. But what I always look forward to is the continuous encouragement that we give each other.

He dreams of becoming a judge, and screenplay writer. I hope to one day be a creative director. (I am not showing this to my current agency’s ECD because that would be embarrassing)
That’s not all the both of us want to do. We want to be philanthropists, activists, authors, knowing that the road to such goals is difficult.

We want to do a lot, achieve a lot. Even more than what I previously blogged about (Look for: Beyond 2016). And before you jump to conclusions, no, we do not harbor any romantic feelings for each other. That would be feel like incest.

While having another one of those encouraging conversations, friend expressed how he wanted to achieve his dreams all at once. That way, he could help every one all at the same time.

I disagreed with him and replied “Where’s the fun in that?”

I elaborated to him that achieving your dreams all at once would leave nothing left for you to do. That afterwards, you’d have trouble to keep going because you’d ask yourself: “What now?”

You’d also tire yourself out. Why? Well, I think it’s because you have too much fun. Just like kids who get tired from a birthday party, we can tire ourselves out from achieving many things.

This is an insight I came across with when I hear senior citizens say: “I’ve lived a good life.”

You’re aware that achieving dreams take plenty of steps. So as much as you struggle, you can’t help but smile fondly, and keep going. You dream in the shower, on your way to work, on your way home. Every time you do, you smile and think: “Well, here goes nothing.”

Going back, you really shouldn’t be achieving your dreams all at once. Not only do you tire yourself out easily, but you leave a large gash in your heart and mind.

“What now?”

You’ll pressure yourself to think of something to do, stat. That’s because you feel jittery, anxious even. 

This is why dreams should be achieved one-by-one.

Every step you accomplish will inspire you to go to the next. When you finally manage to achieve something in what felt like forever, you can choose to:
  • Dream up a new dream, or
  • Continue to back and nurture this newly-accomplished one.
Don’t be afraid of the road blocks. They come as naturally as your enthusiasm. Achieving your dreams can meet standstills, but that doesn’t make them any less worth achieving.

And if you tired yourself out to early, from all the road blocks or for going too fast, take a break. You deserve it as much as you need it.

Dreams also shouldn’t be called crazy. Nor should you think that yours are. Though,
as crazy as you think it is, you go out of your way to make it happen anyway.

We’re all just crazy dreamers if that’s the case.

So why should we stop dreaming? Step 1, remember? In the end, it’s what keeps us all happy in
the first place.



Credits:
Photo


Comments

Popular Posts