DIY Satchel

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! 
*Pops imaginary party popper

You were probably expecting some other type of post, right? Okay, I know what you may be thinking after reading that title: "This chick must be crazy, in a bad way". Well, I can't guarantee that I'm not, but yeah, that title really does mean what it says. I really am in the works of making a satchel for myself and I really am going to push through with finishing and using it in the future. It will be forever my favorite bag once it is finished, and I will work it.


MATERIALS:
Leatherette or any other material for bags
Needle and Thread
Marker/Pen
Ruler
Template
Cloth for inner lining (Optional)

The leatherette is actually from one of my group's cosplay attempts to make boots. Sadly, it didn't go so well, so I decided to harbor the leftover leatherette for myself in case I could concoct something nice. The first plan was a skirt, but no seamstress didn't have a sewing machine strong enough for that. The second plan was this, THE SATCHEL. My sewing, machine, sadly, also could not withstand the thickness of the leatherette. Luckily, I knew how to hand sew!

STEP 1 & 2:
               MEASURE. Use your template and measure its width and height. I used a regular long transparent envelope, that way my bag would be efficient. Add allowance for later sewing. If you want your satchel to be bulky and not really flat, think of how thick you want your bag to be. I added around 2 1/2" thickness. In the end, that thickness has to also be added up with allowances as well at the top, bottom, and sides.



MARK THE MEASUREMENT. When marking, make sure you end up with a really long piece of material. You sort of join every one of the measurements, including the allowance, together to get that.

STEP 3 & 4:
                       CUT. Go along the lines that you've made along the material. If you're afraid about not cutting straight then just make sure that you have enough allowance. Then again, it really does depend on the material you're using. 

HAHA. Hello Kitty pambahay shorts. :p





PIN AND SEW. I basically am really lazy typing right now so I ended up merging these two actions. They're basically both inseparable from each other. The great thing about sewing leatherette is that when you sew a hole into one spot, you don't have to worry about not sewing through that hole again since it's sort of, actually, permanent. 

AND THE FIRST PART IS DONE!!!



INSIDE
It actually turned out really well if I do say so myself. However I think that the lining, strap and front buckles will give me and my hands a few problems in the near future. I wanna finish this during the break that way I won't get that many distractions in the upcoming school days.

I apologize if this tutorial's instruction's were not up to par with what you were expecting. But anyway, thank you for finding the time to read this and hopefully you'll be able to keep track of my progress by going back to my blog.

Comments

Popular Posts